Monday, May 2, 2011

Breaking News...

Greetings,

Teaching Theology has been challenging me to grow. The news of Osama bin Laden's death brought a topical and challenging dimension to our class discussion about capital punishment. This afternoon I found this article which included a statement by the Vatican. A couple class periods to late for me today, but I believe I will bring it to class tomorrow...it has also helped me to frame my own personal emotions about the news.


Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi, the Vatican spokesman,
released a brief written statement reacting to the news.

"Osama bin Laden, as we all know, bore the most serious responsibility for spreading
divisions and hatred among populations, causing the deaths of innumerable
people, and manipulating religions to this end," Father Lombardi said.

"In the face of a man's death, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects
on the serious responsibilities of each person before God and before men, and
hopes and works so that every event may be the occasion for the further growth
of peace and not of hatred," the spokesman said.

Blessings,

No comments: