Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Saints?

Greetings,

If we are called by God to holiness of life, and if holiness
is beyond our natural power to achieve (which it certainly is) then it follows
that God himself must give us the light, the strength, and the courage to
fulfill the task he requires of us. He will certainly give us the grace we need.
If we do not become saints it is because we do not avail ourselves of his gift.

Thomas Merton, Life and Holiness (New York: Image, 1963). p. 17.

I received that quote in my weekly e-mail reflection from the Merton Institute; I felt it was particularly powerful. In my theology course, we are discussing the four marks of the Church and how all are given through the initiative and gift of God and that the Church does it's best to live those marks visibly and invisibly. Plus my prof has given me a bit of extra reading material and it included Lumen Gentium and its Universal Calll to Holiness. Merton's reflection on holiness seemed to fit right into not only my life but also my studies right now.

Tough "Call" this saintly business, but it is the work I've chosen to do by joining up with the Benedictines and the "School of the Lord's Service." Right now I am focusing on learning to seek and trust God as pursue a ministry position...aka looking for a job...while relying upon God's gift of grace to lead me (and the principals) through this discernment process. No present like the reality of searching for work to bring me back to reliance on God.

Blessings,


No comments: