Sunday, November 1, 2009

Solemnity of All Saints

Greetings,

I'm not sure if the Solemnity of All Saints is celebrated if it lands on a Sunday, but here we are and I like the feastday. The scripture that held my attention came from John's first letter.

"Beloved, we are God's children now; what we shall be has not yet been revealed."

It struck me that like the Saints we celebrate today, we too live in the now and not yet simultaneously. I know that I am one of God's children, his beloved; however, I also know that I need to continue to learn, grow, and seek God in all I do. I know who I am, but I have no idea who I will be or to what I will be called next. So...I need to live fully in the now while I am here (I think Benedict would agree with that) while I prepare in hope for what might be tomorrow.

Today, I am a student. I need to live fully in the spirit of learning and study, to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves to continue learning. However, I am also a solitary Benedictine in a Franciscan land : ) and the opportunity to share our monasticism shouldn't be ignored either. I do try to live in the now of this experience...remembering that the not yet isn't far away. Only God knows where I'll be serving the community next year. I hope to be teaching, but where, what, who, and how have no answers just yet.

Blessings from a philosophical morning,

No comments: