Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Another Life Lesson

Greetings,

2009 was a year of lessons learned. Being away at University has been a chance to learn not only about academics of education, but also about living as a Benedictine away from the Monastery. However, the lessons did not end with the ball dropping on 2009.

After spending the last of Advent and the Octave of Christmas at the Monastery, I joined my parents in the city of the Corn Palace. The weather cooperated and allowed us to visit my sister Lisa and her family for a weekend. It was wonderful to talk with her and my brother-in-law and play with the nieces and nephews. The weather even allowed us to travel home in safety again...however, the wind blew and snow drifted in the sub-zero air all throughout the travel.

We made it home to the "Town with the Beautiful Lake" and settled in to enjoy a few days of quiet. While enjoying the quiet mornings and sleeping in at home, I started planning to visit my sister Joy and her family in the northern corner of South Dakota. Now the weather has reasserted its control. It is supposed to begin snowing again tonight and blowing below zero tomorrow through Friday or so. So...no trip north just yet, but hopefully next week the sun will shine and the air will warm.

The Life Lesson?...no matter how much I plan or prepare, I am not in control. The weather might be a beginning lesson in letting God alter my plans as well. As I begin writing my resumes and applying to teaching positions, I need to remember that I do not need to be in control; God has a plan for me as well. This was the theme for my final Monastic Profession and hopefully I can continue to seek it in Life.

Jeremiah 29: 11 ~ For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.

Blessings,

No comments: